The JP Blecksmith Memorial 5K is the signature event hosted by the JP Blecksmith Leadership Foundation. The Foundation was created to perpetuate the legacy and honor the life and sacrifice of J.P. Blecksmith; a Marine 2nd Lieutenant who was killed in Fallujah, Iraq on November 11, 2004, while leading his Marines in support of Operation Phantom Fury.
The event's proceeds and other donations go towards supporting several memorial scholarships. In addition, we have supported veterans’ memorials around the San Gabriel Valley. Our reach is any other similar charitable matter or organization to perpetuate and to honor the legacy of J.P. Blecksmith through public charitable works.
Our mission is to keep his memory and legacy of leadership alive.
Even as things are starting to 'open-up' and return to some level of normalcy, unfortunately, we are still unable to host our event in-person. As a result, the 17th Annual JP Blecksmith Memorial 5K will again be a Virtual 5K. This event has been a Fourth of July tradition for many people and families and we hope you will safely participate with your family, friends, colleagues and teammates. Go enjoy some fresh air and celebrate America’s Birthday, the men and women who serve in our Armed Forces and reflect on our many Freedoms.
Feel free to Run, Walk or Jog either outdoors or indoors (on a treadmill) – just make sure it is the correct distance!
Here is how it works –
1. Sign-up for the Virtual 5K, using the link below.
2. Complete your 5K (3.1 miles) between Friday, July 2 at 6:00 AM PST and Monday, July 5 at 11:59 PM PST.
3. Submit your time, using the link below.
- You will have an option to confirm your time with a link to your fitness tracker
4. Post any photos you take using the hashtag #JPB5K2021 [Show us your Finisher Photo]
Tips for your Virtual 5K –
1. Follow appropriate social distancing guidelines still in-place for your 'area'.
2. Plan your course ahead of time – Consider a loop, an out-and-back or using an app like Strava to plan your route.
3. Tell someone about your race – It establishes accountability to complete it!
4. Run when it works for you – You have a weekend to complete the 5K, so plan for weather, traffic and crowds.
5. Have fun! – You are exercising, enjoying a holiday weekend and supporting a good cause!
WHAT IS INCLUDED WITH YOUR REGISTRATION?
- A printable race bib
- An exclusive JP Blecksmith Memorial Virtual 5K Official Race Shirt (super soft cotton blend with this year's logo)
- A printable Finisher’s Certificate
- A commemorative challenge coin
A note on the t-shirts and coins – as long as you register by close of registration (July 5 at 11:59 PM) and choose to receive a t-shirt, you WILL receive one. T-shirts and challenge coins will be sent out approximately three to four weeks after the event.
SUBMIT YOUR RESULTS
Once you have completed your 5K, submit your results to see how you match up to other participants!
Times must be submitted by Thursday, July 9 at 11:59 PM PST to be eligible as a ‘Finisher’.
Submit your results HERE!
You will have an option to confirm your time with a link to your fitness tracker. In order to be eligible for an award, you need to use this feature.
Finishing times can be found HERE!
Once you have submitted and posted, you can download and print your own certificate!
Click on the pin icon to the right of your finishing time on the website to enable social media connections and certificates!
Connect with us on Instagram @JPBLF for updates, features, pictures and results.
Tag your personal Virtual 5K photos with #JPB5K2021 for a chance to be featured!
We are always grateful for the generous support of our sponsors! Thank you for your making our event a success!