About this Event
As you may know, in the summer of 2004, tragedy struck the community of Holbrook when a thirteen year old, Sean Joyce, passed away from Eastern Equine Encephalitis. In the days, months, and years that followed, the community of Holbrook rallied to support Sean’s family, his classmates and each other.
Seventeen years later we can look back and see how we have honored Sean’s life and kept his memory alive by building the Sean Joyce Baseball/Soccer Field next to the Sumner Field with a walking track around both and the presentation of over one-hundred thousand dollars in scholarships to the students of Holbrook. Those who knew Sean could not be prouder of how his memory has stayed alive within the community, and that could not have been possible without the contributions of each and every person who helped along the way.
In order to be able to continue to offer scholarships and keep Sean’s memory alive, we are hosting our FIFTH annual 5K Road Race and 1-Mile Walk this fall in conjunction with Holbrook's Homecoming festivities. We are excited for the fourth annual event, which will be held this year on October 22, 2022. The race will kick off at the Seanie’s Snack Shack at the Holbrook Public Schools’ facility.
About the Course
The course is two laps around a loop that begins and ends at Seanie's Snack Shack at Holbrook Middle-High School, going through the St. Joseph's parking lot, around the path at the Sean Joyce Athletic Field and Sumner Field, and back around the school. The course will be well marked, does not go on any active streets, and will have a medical tent at HMHS and several water stations.
Strollers, Bikes, Etc.
Strollers, bikes and anything else with wheels will not be allowed on the 5K course, as it begins and ends on the track. Please contact the event director with any accommodations that may need to be made.
STROLLERS ARE ALLOWED ON THE ONE MILE WALK! We are encouraging families to attend!
Join Us for Breakfast!
We invite everyone to join us for breakfast, raffles and post-race camaraderie across the street at The Brook Kitchen and Tap following the event! Breakfast will include muffins and croissants, fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage and French toast!
When you register, you'll be asked if you'd like to add breakfast to your registration. Sign up that way and you will automatically receive a bracelet on the day of the race for the buffet! The cost for breakfast is an additional $16.00 per person.
Have family and friends who aren't running or walking but would like to join us for breakfast? Please have them email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to join us at The Brook following the event!
We are continuing to offer a virtual option for 5K or 1-Mile Walk participants as another way to remember and honor Sean’s memory.
Through the virtual run, we invite you to pick your own course and run, walk, bike or even rollerblade your 5K any time through the end of October. Try to make it a fun, family event! We will send you a Google Form to enter your results in, and all results will be posted here on our official Racewire page.
Also, please email us or post pictures on our Facebook page of you completing your run/walk!
For and in consideration of USA Track & Field, Inc. (“USA Track & Field” or “USATF”) allowing me, the registrant, to participate in the USA Track & Field sanctioned event I am registering for herein The Sean Joyce Foundation 5K Run and 1 Mile Walk; I, for myself, and on behalf of my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns, hereby agree to and make the following contractual representations pursuant to this Waiver and Release of Liability, Assumption of Risk and Indemnity Agreement (the “Agreement”);
1. I hereby represent that (i) I am at least eighteen (18) years of age (or this Agreement is also agreed to by my parent, natural guardian, or legal guardian (the “Guardian”)); (ii) I am in good health and in proper physical condition to participate in the Event; and (iii) I am not under the influence of alcohol or any illicit or prescription drugs which would in any way impair my ability to safely participate in the Event. I agree that it is my sole responsibility to determine whether I am sufficiently fit and healthy enough to participate in the Event, that I am responsible for my own safety and well-being at all times and under all circumstances while at the Event site.
2. I understand and acknowledge that participation in track & field, road running, race walking, cross country, mountain, ultra, and trail running Events is inherently dangerous and represents an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits. I understand and acknowledge the risks and dangers associated with participation in the Event and sports of track & field and related activities, including without limitation, the potential for serious bodily injury, sickness and disease, permanent disability, paralysis and loss of life; loss of or damage to equipment/property; exposure to extreme conditions and circumstances; contact with other participants, spectators, animals or other natural or manmade objects; dangers arising from adverse weather conditions; imperfect course or track conditions; land, water and surface hazards; equipment failure; inadequate safety measures; participants of varying skill levels; situations beyond the immediate control of the Event Organizers (as defined in Section 4 below); and other undefined, not readily foreseeable and presently unknown risks and dangers (“Risks”). I understand that these Risks may be caused in whole or in part by my own actions or inactions or the actions or inactions of others participating in or organizing the Event, and I hereby expressly assume all such Risks and responsibility for any damages, liabilities, losses or expenses which I incur as a result of my participation in any Event, except to the extent caused by the gross negligence and/or willful misconduct of any of the Released Parties (as defined in Section 4 below).
3. I agree to be familiar with and to abide by the Rules and Regulations established for the Event, including but not limited to the Competition Rules adopted by USA Track & Field and any safety regulations established for the benefit of all participants. I accept sole responsibility for my own conduct and actions while participating in the Event, and the condition and adequacy of my equipment.
4. I hereby release, waive and covenant not to sue, and further agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the following parties as relevant and applicable in each instance: USATF, its members, clubs, associations, sport disciplines and divisions; United States Olympic Committee (USOC); the event directors, the host organization and the facility, venue and property owners or operators upon which the Event takes place; and any other organizers, promoters, sponsors, advertisers, coaches and officials for this Event; law enforcement agencies and other public entities providing support for the Event; and each of their respective parent, subsidiary and affiliated companies, officers, directors, partners, shareholders, members, agents, employees and volunteers (Individually and collectively, the “Released Parties” or “Event Organizers”), with respect to any liability, claim(s), demand(s), cause(s) of action, damage(s), loss or expense (including court costs and attorneys’ fees) of any kind or nature (“Liability”) which may arise out of, result from, or relate in any way to my participation in the Event, except to the extent caused by the gross negligence and/or willful misconduct of any of the Released Parties. I further agree that if, despite this Agreement, I, or anyone on my behalf, makes a claim for Liability against any of the Released Parties, I will indemnify, defend and hold harmless each of the Released Parties from any such Liabilities which may be incurred as the result of such claim, except to the extent caused by the gross negligence and/or willful misconduct of any of the Released Parties, as relevant and applicable in each instance.
5. As a condition of my participation in the Event, I hereby grant USA Track & Field, the event director and host organization a limited license to use my name, likeness, image, photograph, voice, video, athletic performance, biographical and other information (collectively, “Likeness”), in any media platform or format whatsoever, and to distribute, broadcast and exhibit these without charge, restriction or liability, but only for the purposes of advertising or promoting the Event, USATF, or the sport of Athletics. The foregoing grant, however, does not constitute consent for USATF or any third party to use my Likeness in an endorsement of any product or service without my specific written consent.
I hereby warrant that I (or the Guardian, if I am under the age of 18) am of legal age and competent to enter into this Agreement, that I have read this Agreement carefully, understand its terms and conditions, acknowledge that I will be giving up substantial legal rights by accepting it (including the rights of my spouse, children, guardians, heirs and next of kin, and any legal and personal representatives, executors, administrators, successors and assigns), acknowledge that I have accepted this Agreement without any inducement, assurance or guarantee, and intend for my acceptance to serve as confirmation of my complete and unconditional acceptance of the terms, conditions and provisions of this Agreement. This Agreement represents the complete understanding between the parties regarding these issues and no oral representations, statements or inducements have been made apart from this Agreement. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, then that provision shall be deemed severable from this Agreement and shall not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.
If the participant is under the age of 18, the Guardian hereby agrees to release and discharge the Released Parties as follows: a) The Guardian acknowledges and understands that the Event is inherently dangerous and represents an extreme test of a person’s physical and mental limits. Further, the Guardian acknowledges and understands the Risks, as defined above. b) The Guardian acknowledges the rights waived by both the Guardian and the participant by accepting this Agreement. c) The Guardian acknowledges that the Guardian will indemnify the Released Parties from any and all Liability which may arise out of, result from, or relate in any way to the participant’s participation in the Event, except to the extent caused by the gross negligence and/or willful misconduct of any of the Released Parties. SecureFee™ Registration Cancellation Insurance is offered in most states. If purchased, your registration may be covered for one of the covered reasons stated in the policy.