GENERAL EVENT INFO
Skate of the Union® is the premier all-skating weekend in Washington, DC that has skating activities for all ability levels from beginner clinics and demos to professional competitive races.
Celebrate Olympic Day at Skate of the Union® either in person or virtually! From May 15-July 15, millions of people in more than 160 countries will celebrate Olympic Day commemorating the birth of the modern Olympic Games (June 23, 1894). Olympic Day’s mission is to promote fitness, well-being, culture and education, while promoting the Olympic values – excellence, friendship and respect – and the three Olympic Day pillars – move, learn and discover – in every corner of the globe.
Please visit the event website at https://www.skateoftehunion.org for the details of all events during the 20th Edition of the Skate of the Union® weekend.
Register here for both virtual and in-person distances. All other events are free and do not require registration
VIRTUAL OPTION (6/23/23 - 7/4/23)
Go the distance while keeping your distance. Chose your wheels and your distance between Friday, June 23 and Tuesday, July 4, 2023 .
Please report your results by July 5th here: https://forms.gle/qPeBexZJHgixnEgC9
IN-PERSON OPTIONS (6/25/23)
The Skate of the Union® Races will be held in East Potomac Park, Washington, DC. We recommend parking on either side of Ohio Drive (divided) between Buckeye Drive & the entrance to the East Potomac Golf Course Club House at 972 Ohio Dr SW, Washington, DC 20024.
On-site check-in will begin at 6:00 AM at the gate just past the entrance to the East Potomac Golf Course. When you arrive, please be sure to visit the check-in table to pick up your event number & chip. Please note that your event number is to be pinned to the outside of your left thigh and your chips are to be affixed to your ankle.
Start/Finish & Awards:
The start/finish line will be in Parking Area #6 which is approximately .25 miles from the check-in location at the gate. Please be prepared to walk or skate to Parking Area #6 as the road will be closed to wheeled vehicles.
• 6:00 am Check-In Opens
• 7:00 am Kids 1-Lap, Half Marathon & Full Marathon start
• 9:30 am Roads are open to the public
• 10:00 am Awards
NOTE: The awards for the Kids 1-Lap will start as soon as the results are available after all Kids 1-Lap participants finish.
Here are few rules of which we wanted to be sure you were aware:
• All skaters are required to wear a helmet.
• Headphones cannot be worn while skating.
• Slower skaters are requested to skate on the right side of the road to allow for incident free passing by faster skaters on the left.
• Please be prepared to count your laps. The race announcer will periodically announce the number of laps completed as skaters pass the start/finish line, however, it will be your ultimate responsibility to keep track of your laps.
• The Marathon & Half Marathon will occur rain or shine. No skating will be permitted in the case of lightning. The Kids 1-Lap will be canceled if the pavement is wet.
• We recommend that you bring a towel, mat or folding chair on which to stretch and sit.
• All should stay off the roads unless you are on skates.
• There are bathrooms at the Golf Course Club House, close the check-in location and throughout the park.
• Each race will be timed by RaceWire using the ChronoTrack timing system. Please return your chip in the bin as soon as you complete your event.
• To place the turn-around points at the widest points of the road, 1-Lap is 4.47 miles.
• Laps per Distance: Kids 1-Lap - 1 lap; Half Marathon - 3 laps; Marathon - 6 laps
• Water will be provided to skaters on the course, however we recommend that all skaters carry their own hydration system.
• Beverages and snacks will be available from our sponsor Teaism. We will have Salty Oat Cookies!
• Please do not leave your personal items near the river to avoid water damage due to the tide increasing during the race.
In consideration of the services of Skater’s Quest, LLC., DC Inner City Excellence, Washington Area Roadskaters their officers, agents, employees, and stockholders, and all other persons or entities associated with those businesses (hereafter collectively referred to as “Skate of the Union”) I agree as follows: Although Skate of the Union has taken reasonable steps to provide me with appropriate equipment and skilled guides so I can enjoy an activity for which I may not be skilled, Skate of the Union has informed me this activity is not without risk. Certain risks are inherent in each activity and cannot be eliminated without destroying the unique character of the activity. These inherent risks are some of the same elements that contribute to the unique character of this activity and can be the cause of loss or damage to my equipment, or accidental injury, illness, or in extreme cases, permanent trauma or death. Skate of the Union does not want to frighten me or reduce my enthusiasm for this activity, but believes it is important for me to know in advance what to expect and to be informed of the inherent risks. The following describes some, but not all, of those risks: Scrapes (“road rash”), bumps, bruises, & broken bones. Common injured areas are wrists, knees, elbows, tailbone, & head. I am aware that inline skating entails risks of injury or death to any participant. I understand the description of these inherent risks is not complete and that other unknown or unanticipated inherent risks may result in injury or death. I agree to assume and accept full responsibility for the inherent risks identified herein and those inherent risks not specifically identified. My participation in this activity is purely voluntary; no one is forcing me to participate, and I elect to participate in spite of and with full knowledge of the inherent risks.
I acknowledge that engaging in this activity may require a degree of skill and knowledge different from other activities and that I have responsibilities as a participant. I acknowledge that the staff of Skate of the Union has been available to more fully explain to me the nature and physical demands of this activity and the inherent risks, hazards, and dangers associated with this activity. I certify that I am fully capable of participating in this activity. Therefore, I assume and accept full responsibility for myself, including all minor children in my care, custody, and control, for bodily injury, death, or loss of personal property and expenses as a result of those inherent risks and dangers identified herein and those inherent risks and dangers not specifically identified, and as a result of my negligence in participating in this activity.
I have carefully read, clearly understood, and accepted the terms and conditions stated herein and acknowledge that this agreement shall be effective and binding upon me, my heirs, assigns, personal representative, and estate and for all members of my family, including minor children.
A signature is required for participation. If participant is under 18 years of age, a signature of a parent or guardian is required.
SecureFee™ Registration Cancellation Insurance is offered in most states. If purchased, your registration may be covered for one of the covered reasons stated in the policy.